Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Blackballed


Blackballed

By Tinig ni Maria

“Let’s wait for Princess there by the gates,” Monica told Sophia and headed to the gates without waiting for an answer. It was strategical. Jenny, the cheerleader captain was also there, chatting with her friends, Mary and Pearl, who were also cheerleaders by the gate. Monica heard that they Jenny was planning to throw a party for the squad after the basketball championship game on Friday. Monica has never been to any of Jenny’s parties but she had definitely heard how cool and fun those parties were.

“Do you think I should invite Angel and Abigail?” Jenny asked her friends.

“Hmmm, well, Angel’s mom just launched her own skincare line so I think we can invite her. However, I’m not sure about Abigail. There’s something odd about that girl,” Mary answered.

“But Abigail has two cute college brothers so we might need to be nice to her,” Pearl chimed in.

Monica laughed loudly and Sophia’s jaw dropped.

“What’s happening to you?” Sophia asked Monica.

“Excuse me?” Jenny asked.

“Sorry, I can’t help it. I overheard your conversation and I don’t think you should invite any of them,” Monica answered completely turning her back on Sophia.

“And you are?” Mary asked with an arched brow.

“I’m Monica. We’ve been classmates since the first grade,” Monica introduced herself.

“Well?” Jenny asked impatiently.

“Well, Angel’s mom got divorced recently and her mom likes buying counterfeit Guccis. You also mentioned Abigail’s older brothers? One of them is engaged and the other one is gay,” Monica explained.

“We need to go and shop. Join us and tell us more,” Jenny instructed.

Monica started to follow her.

“Hey, what about our pizza party?” Sophia asked.

“Some other time,” Monica answered.

She filled in Jenny and her friends about more gossip about other girls that they were planning to invite on the way to the mall. When they arrived, Monica had everyone crossed out from the list.

“OK, we’re shopping now. You can go home now,” Pearl dismissed Monica.

“What? Well, I guess I’ll just see you on Friday?” Monica asked.

“What? Oh, you mean the party? Sorry, you can’t go. So many things happen in my parties and you can’t be trusted to not blab about such things,” Jenny said as she turned her back to Monica.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO OTHER GOD

  NO OTHER GOD By Tinig ni Maria You tell me not to worry You promise You’ll provide You set me free from captivity You calm my weary mind  ...